Andrea Brow reports:
Dublin History Group held a little ceremony on Sunday November 12 where members laid and blessed a plaque in the Dublin Institute Remembrance Avenue and Garden.
The ceremony was a dedication to the animals that serve and continue to serve in our Armed Forces.
This was inspired by the purple poppy, which commemorates all the animal deeds and sacrifices in war issued by the Australian War Animal Memorial Organisation (AWAMO).
The Dublin History Group was in contact with Nigel Allsopp, the Director of the organisation for assistance and permission to use the beautiful logo on the plaque.
The funds for the plaque were raised through a car boot sale, which was held on November 5 at the Dublin Institute and the plaque was engraved by Gemma Dickins at Timber Art, Signs and Engraving.
The Dublin History Group planted a French Lavender above the plaque to commemorate the opening of the first Animal War Memorial on the Western Front at Pozieres on July 21st this year.
Dublin History Group president, Ian Telfer, officiated the ceremony, with Two Wells RSL president Tony Flaherty OAM JP in attendance.
by Father Bart O’Donovan blessed the plaque while Philip Brow recited the Ode and Sue Adams placed a beautiful wreath made by Pat Thompson.
There were also two very special guests, our animal friends Chloe and Buster. They reminded us how special the bond is between our animals and humans.
Following the ceremony, guests retired to the Dublin Institute for a presentation by Garry Tancock and John Allen about the Ex-Military Service Personnel 1895 – 2016 Project.
This is a Two Wells RSL initiative for the Adelaide Plains Council district and surrounding areas, to record and remember all those who have served and those who paid the ultimate sacrifice in all conflicts.
It was very interesting and something the Dublin History Group will be assisting with.