Past grand final teams reunite

Two Wells Football and Netball Sporting Club is holding a reunion of its 1975,76,77 and 1987 grand final teams this month.

The event is on Saturday, August 19 from 2pm with old photos, memorabilia and newspaper clippings on show.

The club is hoping to attract as many past premiership players, trainers, coaches and supporters as possible and will feature a number of key speakers throughout the afternoon.

Drinks and nibbles will be available.

For more information, keep an eye on the club’s Facebook page or contact Kate Lange on 0400 991 719.

The grand finals in review….

Compiled by Michael Slattery

Two Wells decided it would separate from Virginia for the 1975 season after 15 years as a combined side in the Gawler and District Football League.

It was a big decision after having only had one year as an A grade side in the competition as the combined side and only winning a few games.

A keen North Adelaide supporter, local tavern owner and club president, Norm Najar (who the club’s A grade Best and Fairest medal is named after) managed to recruit Maurie Francou as captain-coach from SANFL side North Adelaide.

Maurie is the father of Josh Francou who also played for North Adelaide and Port Power.

Maurie brought his brother Ken and a couple of other ex-North Adelaide players with him and was able to combine them with locals to produce a fast moving, hard tackling, handball type game style to the competition that saw the Roosters as the standout side for the next three years, losing just two games.

Sitting at the top of the ladder undefeated at the end of the minor rounds, the Roosters were favourites and easily accounted for Lyndoch, dishing out a 126-point thrashing in the second semi with scores of 24-26 to 6-8 to advance straight into the grand final.

The grand final saw a record crowd of 1500 turn up at the Gawler oval for the spectacle.

Gawler South had the upper hand at quarter time, before the Roosters gathered momentum to control the game and take out a 69 point win.

Paper headlines included, “ A record crowd attended Gawler oval last Saturday to watch Two Wells give South Gawler a football lesson in the second half to easily take out the 1975 premiership by 69 points”.

Two Wells        2-5  7-10  12-13  17-17

South Gawler   3-3   4-9     5-13    6-14

Goals Two Wells J May 4, C Pethick 4, C Taylor 2, M Lamont 2, R Prior, C Altman, G Norton, R Payne

Best C Pethick, G Norton, W Prior, D Sharpe, R Prior, R Zadow.

Ray Prior is father of Two Wells netballers Michelle Dimasi and Leah Clifton.


1976 saw the Roosters once again as a formidable force suffering just one loss in the minor rounds to finish top.

In the last minor round game, key forward Brent Farquhar slotted 11 goals to win the competition’s leading goal kicker award with a tally of 79, while Ken Francou was third in the mail medal count. 

The 1976 club B&F was Ken Francou with runner up Terry Collins while up and coming senior colts B&F was Petros Markou who also took out the senior colts mail medal.

In the second semi Two Wells charged  through to the GF with a comprehensive 91 point victory over Gawler South with scores of 25-19 to 12-6.

The following week saw a draw between Willaston and South resulting in a replay the following week, delaying the grand final by a week.

The 1976 GF was interesting, with Two Wells’ inaccuracy keeping Willaston in the game.

Willaston led by eight points at the first break before Two Wells gained the upper hand.

The last quarter saw Willaston kick six goals straight to get within 14 points before a controversial free in front of goals to Two Wells resulted in a goal that broke its momentum.

Key points of the game were ruckman Geoff Norton kicking seven goals, senior colt Petros Marcou’s skilful roving and four goals, great spoiling by Dave Sharpe in the backlines and Des Collins’ excellent work at centre half back.

Two Wells  1-5  7-12  14-16  18-20

Willaston    3-1   4-1      8-1     14-3

Goals Two Wells: G Norton 7, P Markou 4, J Payne2, C Pethick 2, C Markou, G Taylor, T Collins.

Best D Collins, K Francou, G Norton, C Markou, D Pethick, P Markou.


The Roosters continued on in 1977 to again finish top with just one loss.

The Reserves also had a good season finishing second but went out in straight sets. 

The club’s B&F for 1977 was Terry Collins with Geoff Norton runner up, while John Payne was the runner up to the league mail medallist.

Two Wells again advanced straight through to the grand final defeating Centrals 10-13 to 5-10 in the second semi.

The 1977 grand final saw an even tussle up to half time before Centrals wasted its opportunities in the third quarter to see the Roosters gain a 22 point lead. 

The final term saw the Roosters’ experience, pressure and strength come into play as more players got on top of their opponents and Centrals again wasted opportunities in front of goal, so much so Two Wells came away with a three-goal win.

The victory saw Maurie Francou announce his retirement.

Maurie was also given an eight-game suspension following a report on two occasions by the boundary umpire for striking.

Two Wells  2-1  5-6  9-10  12-12

Centrals      1-5  4-7  5-12   8-18

Goal kickers Two Wells: C Pethick 3, G Taylor 3, L Prior, G Meredith, G Launer, W Prior, G Norton, K Francou.

Best T Collins, C Pethick G Norton, J Lounnou, J Brown, K Francou

Clayton Pethick along with his colourful wife Eirene are still keen supporters of the club attending most A grade games.


The year 1987 saw captain-coach, Stuart Jolly, guide the Roosters to a very successful return to the APFL after a period in the Gawler and District Football League.

On a day with a strong wind favouring the northern end and rain in the second half, Two Wells had a hard-fought battle with Mallala before running out 23 point victors.

Two Wells started with the breeze but kicked inaccurately, before bottling the game up in the second and kicking two goals to gain an 11-point lead.

Accurate kicking of 3-1 in the third with the wind saw the margin increase.

Early in the last quarter the Pies got to within 15 points before Two Wells goaled again in the slippery, windy conditions to run out victors.

Headlines from the Plains Producer read: “Roosters Rule in 1987”, “Roosters show class”, “In the match dubbed the ‘Battle of the Birds’, Two Wells Roosters clawed away at the Mallala Magpies all day and were deserving winners of the 1987 APFL flag”.

Two Wells  3-7  5-7  8-8  9-11

Mallala       1-2   4-2  5-4  6-6

Two Wells goal kickers were S Bogas 2, R Kermeen, P Manual, P Readett, P Lamont R Wendland, M Kotsano G Davies.

BOG was David Gameau while others whose performances were mentioned were Jolly, Marcou, Davies, Wendland and Briscoe.

Points of interest: Current A-grade coach,       Cheeky Seccafien (rover) and assistant Alan Briscoe (back pocket) were part of this victorious line up.

Best on ground ruckman, Dave Gameau, is the father of current gun A-grade ruckman Harry Gameau.

Player, Grant Taylor, had longevity, also being part of the 75, 76 and 77 flags and is also the uncle of Harry Gameau.

Petros Markou, uncle of current A-grade speedster Theo Markou, also played in the 76 and 77 flags.

P Lamont is also the father of Reserves twins Cameron and Drew Lamont.

Leave a Reply