Memorial upgrade part of big project

IMG_2300

Two Wells RSL Receives $7500

Two Wells RSL recently received $7500 in Federal funding to upgrade its WW1 monument and haven’t wasted any time in starting the project.

The funds were received through Federal Member for Wakefield, Nick Champion, as part of the government’s Anzac Centenary Local Grants Program.

Two Wells RSL president, Tony Flaherty said work on improving and restabilising the WW1 monument had already begun, with volunteers helping last month to remove pavers, break down cement and carefully lift the monument off its base.

“This is really good for us because the base of the WW1 memorial that we’ve got is fractured,” Mr Flaherty said.

“It has to come down and be repaired anyway and this just helps facilitate that.”

Mr Flaherty, said the refurbishment of the monument was part of a much larger project for the whole area, which will see the construction of a unique memorial honouring Australian soliders killed in Afghanistan.

For the most part, funding for the overall project, expected to exceed $80,000, has been raised locally.

“It’s been a community RSL effort,” Mr Flaherty said.

“The people and the families who come along every Friday for a meal or make a donation, they are the ones who have made this possible.

“If we didn’t have such a supportive community it wouldn’t happen.”

Leave a Reply