Gawler and District College sets new community standard

PREMIER Weatherill with students who were MC’s for the ceremony, Cameron Rudge, Coleson Taylor and Ashleigh Clark.

A new childrens’ centre, junior school, oval and library are key elements of a major redevelopment which has created the Gawler and District College Birth – 12, catering for more than 1000 students in Adelaide’s north.

Officially opening the college on Sunday, May 19, Premier Jay Weatherill said the $12 million project brings early childhood learning, junior and senior schooling together on the one site for the first time, providing a focus for community activity.

The new children’s centre has 45 preschool places and 15 occasional care places, as well as health services facilities. Alongside is a new Reception to Year 2 facility with toilets and a new Year 3 to Year 6 facility with toilets.

The redevelopment follows the closure of the Evanston Primary and Preschool and the construction of new facilities on the Gawler High School site on Barnet Road, Evanston. Funding has come from the State Government’s Education Works Stage Two and Commonwealth BER initiatives.

Gawler and District College principal, Gerri Walker, said the new school, which has been operating since the start of Term 1, had already generated positive feedback, including building links with local service and community clubs.

“Learning is at the centre of everything we do. We’re developing a new school culture with a focus on student leadership and student voice,” Ms Walker said.